TO SIN BY SILENCE: 7 Conspiracies + 7 Questions
COLLECTIVE THRIVING COLLECTION | Church & Society Series | Letters to the Church
To Sin by Silence: 7 Conspiracies + 7 Questions is an open letter to church and society. In this open letter to church and society, the author introduces seven conspiracies and seven questions, raising awareness about the ways our silence misses the mark and contributes to cycles of pain in our world.
With a mix of personal accounts, viewpoints from scripture and theologians, and observations of systemic sin, the author presents a compelling argument. The book is written for those who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus but often overlook the ways a choice to remain silent causes lasting damage.
Note: This book was written in 1996 directly to those within Christian congregations and fellowships. Because it was written 25 years ago, it does not address many, many ways the church apostolic along with many of those of us who are Christ followers, myself included, have failed to speak and instead contributed to cycles of perpetual suffering in the last 20 years of our collective journey. See my Faithscapes Hub and Letters to the Church video collection for more on recent content on this topic.
This book is only available online.
⚜️ BUY ON AMAZON **
* note that delivery of autographed copies may take up to 14-21 days due to current postal delays and depending on whether we have copies in stock; inquire here for specifics if timing is an issue
INSIDE THE BOOK
From the Introduction: "To risk life's journey is no less than an act of courageous faith, and that courage and faith is buoyed and sustained by our connection to one another. Our way is made easier when we are cradled in community and supported by others willing to join us on the path toward reconciliation and hope. It is my hope that this book will inspire its readers to continue on the ever-deepening journey of faith. We journey best when we sail alongside with honor and love for one another. As believers united in our love for Jesus, son of God and the eternal, risen Christ, let us stand with one another, trusting in the light. Let us not shrink into shadow."
- Author’s Note
- Reflection: Journey’s Beginning
- Reward and Consequence
- The Reward of Silence
- The Consequence of Condemnation
- 1—Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil
- 2—Casting Out the Sinner Among Us
- 3—Stooping to Help the Needy One
- 4—Offering a Token Word of Grace
- 5—Turning Our Back on One Who Deserves His Plight
- 6—Crucifying That Which Is Good
- 7—Denial of the Truth
- The Context
- 2—Where Are You?
- 3—Who's Looking at Who?
- 4—How Long. Oh Lord?
- 5—What to Do Now?
- 6—When Will the Madness Stop?
- 7—How Can I Choose Love?
- The Reward of Truth-Telling
- The Consequence of Self-Righteous Judgment
- Reflection: Still On the Way
- Selections from This Author
** Amazon links are partner links. Should you make a purchase we may receive a commission. Thank you for your support in this way.